No matter where you are in the world, it’s important to protect your skin every day. Here in Ireland, we’re definitely not experiencing LA-style heat and sunshine every day of the year, but protecting our skin from the sun’s rays is still a top priority. Today, we’re delving into sun-based skincare and sharing the why and how of caring for our skin on the daily.
5 Reasons to Wear Sunscreen Every Day
- It protects your skin from the sun’s rays and sunburn.
- It lowers the risk of developing skin cancer.
- It prevents your skin from aging prematurely.
- It supports a more even skin tone.
- It limits the appearance of sunspots and broken blood vessels.
Apply Sunscreen Every Day, No Matter What The Weather
If it’s sunny? Yes. If it’s overcast? Also yes. If it’s raining? We’ve got a hat trick folks, a resounding YES. Taking into consideration that 80% of the sun’s rays can pass through clouds, we’re taking no risks here. Snow can also reflect up to 80% of the sun’s rays, so it’s important to protect your skin year-round, during every season. You should also be wearing sunscreen if you’re inside – sunlight means that you’re always being exposed to UV radiation, so it’s better to be safe than sorry.
How to Establish Sunscreen as an Everyday Habit
- Build it into your skincare routine! Choose a waterproof facial SPF that can be applied alongside any of your usual skincare products.
- Apply your sunscreen at least 15 minutes prior to going outdoors.
- Use around an ounce of sunscreen and apply to your face, neck, arms and legs – and anywhere else that’s exposed to the sun.
- If you’ll be indoors for the day, use SPF 30. Spending the day outside? Use SPF 50 or higher.
- If you’re spending a long time outdoors, re-apply your sunscreen every two hours.
- Choose make-up with SPF included for added protection.
- If you’re swimming/in the sea, opt for a waterproof sunscreen.
Until next time,
The Front Row team x